Thursday 15 September 2011

Music and Me

My taste in music has changed greatly over the years, but nonetheless the passion and how it makes me feel stays the same, and i think now more than ever music is my way of escaping from the stressful life of school and work.

From my parents being great music fans, i was always listening to music from a young age, this song by new order (my dads favourite band) has been featured in many a home-video with me and my sister simultaneously dancing. From this somehow subliminally later, in life i have become a big new order fan myself. The music doesn't feature many words and just allows you to move to its rhythm which is why it probably appealed to me as a young child, not to mention the encouragement from dad. Listening to it now brings up memories of the old flat where i lived and its a band that definitely shaped my music taste today, probably why i've become such a daddy's girl always sharing cd's and discussing bands with the man who imprinted this sort of music into my memory, my dad.



When i turned around 11 i thought of myself as a bit of a rebel and spent my pocket money on my first ever CD by a band called Good Charlotte. This was when i really discovered my own taste in music, becoming more aware of new bands and the punk rock scene. This song in particular reminds me of so many holidays and days out where me and my best friend would sing out all the words and know every line and think we were so very cool. The song is quite upbeat and is quite jokey and rebellious which mirrors exactly my personality at this point in my life which is probably why i enjoyed the band in general so much. Not to mention the fact that the lead singer was a major crush of mine for a longg time. There is an ongoing pattern in my music taste of not being very mainstream, i think this is generally because i liked being a bit different and quirky and mainly because i am a massive tomboy, so dancing seductively is out of the question and with this music you can just sing along and dance however you want (jokily or not).



Now becoming an adult i start to appreciate music more for how influential it is and how talented the artists are. As well as this i use music as an escapism and a way to relax and wind down. The band i associate with my life now is definitely The Clash, this was another of my dads favourite bands, and rummaging through his cd's i discovered and began to love them. I feel as an band they have shaped many of the music bands we now have today. Not only this but i look up to the lead singer Joe Strummer  greatly as a role model for living a carefree life, not caring about the money or fame and one of my favourite quotes from his is 'The Future Is Unwritten' which i plan to have tattooed on myself. I have a big poster of him on my newly refurbished bedroom wall, and it makes me sad that i will never be able to see them live due to Joe Strummer dying of cancer in 2002 but their greatest hits album will continue to live in my cd player continuously on repeat. This song in particular, when i hear it i think of classic british culture and link it to my favourite film Billy Elliot. Its quite an upbeat song and has some ingenious colloquial lyrics which are fun to sing along to.

No comments:

Post a Comment